Hello my lovelies. I hope you’ve all had a fabulous sunny day. I spent most of my day in my sewing room. Something about the sunshine that spurs me on to start and finish stuff.
I was awake at 5am this morning. I had a really good sleep and was ready to get up and at it. The first thing I did was to cut 2-1/2” strips from an assortment of fabric I use on my latest challenge. I joined enough strips to make enough binding for said challenge. I don’t normally cut my binding before I finish the quilting but today I needed to feel like I was making progress. Somehow I did all this even before the sun came up …..
I moved onto making the label. I make a very simple label by composing the label words on my laptop and printing it out. I don’t happen to like my writing so using my laptop and printer solves that problem. Once the words are printed out I use a light box to trace the words onto the fabric. I use a fine permanent pen which sets with heat. I like putting my label in the corner. It forms a pocket which you can either hide something in or simply just sew it shut.
Once daylight arrived I started longarm quilting …..
It was quite easy to decide on what quilting design to use. I stitched until the job was done. Then machined the binding and label on. Here’s another little peek …..
I’m hoping to hand finish the binding this evening. For me, hand finishing the binding is the best part, especially this time of year when it’s still a bit cold. I look forward to snuggle under the quilt while I’m hand sewing.
Now, for the benefit of those who don’t know, this quilt that I pieced and machine quilted over the last few days was made on behalf of Quilts for Comfort. I happen to be a trustee for this small northeast charity. Quilts for Comfort strives to bring comfort to children from age 0-25 who are receiving cancer treatment principally at the RVI in Newcastle which is located in the northeast of England. When Sandra, my QFC colleague received a request from the hospital for this particular quilt, she checked the inventory to find that we did not have anything suitable. So, after checking my stash and working out that I had the required fabric in my own stash I stepped forward and offered to piece a quilt. I did not make this quit on my own. My Sarah stepped in and washed dishes while I cut fabric into strips. And one of my friends stepped in with soft fleece to be used for backing. Sandra will be popping up on Monday to collect the quilt and deliver it to the hospital. And so on and so on. So, while I worked piecing this quilt, I was never alone.
Quilts for Comfort has oodles of volunteers all over the north of England. Some of our volunteers belong to groups and other are simply interested in helping on their own. The feeling you get, when you finish a quilt and handover in readiness to be delivered to the RVI, is one of being useful, a sense of knowing that you will bring a young person comfort in a time of need.
So, that’s my story about this week’s big abventure. I’m ending the week on a very positive note. I know that next week my simple creation will bring comfort to one young person and possibly their family. Now I know that my simple design works I will make notes so I can use it again if I ever have to piece a quilt in a hurry again. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. It’s Mother’s Day in the UK this Sunday. So happy Mother’s Day to all the lovely dedicated mothers. Until next time,
Let’s all keep on stitching.